_

Friday, December 11, 2009

A New Favorite

My goodness, it's been a long time since I've posted. I never seem to have enough time. Something about two jobs and 19 credit hours will do that to you.

Pretty soon I'm going to reveal the new theme for my blog. It's going to be huge. Get excited.

In the meantime, a new favorite book...


Happiness and Contemplation by Josef Pieper.

How do you pronounce that? Pie-per? Pee-per? Pepper? Hmm. One of life's great mysteries.


I had never read anything by Josef Pieper before. In fact, the only reason I knew the name was because my little sister Cathy (whose birthday is today! Happy birthday baby!) owns a copy of his other book, "Leisure, the Basis of Culture," although I don't think she's actually read it.

I had to read Happiness and Contemplation for a philosophy class and I really, really liked it. It's a quick, easy read too. Highly recommended.

1 comment:

  1. Pieper is one of "my authors". Whenever I find an author that strikes me as making me grow as a Catholic, as a person, I buy everything they've ever written, and start at the beginning. Most of Pieper's works are good; his books on virtues are the best. I routinely give away copies of my favorites each year; I've given away a lot of Pieper.
    P.S. I'm reading about 200 or more books a year, I don't know anyone reading as much. Yet I'm well-liked and respected. It's not being a nerd to want to know more.

    ReplyDelete