_

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Oxford Holiday

Andrey and I in our matching coats. We both love red!

Thursday night, my sister Lillian arrived and we spent the night at our aunt's house. I got to drop Andrey off at his Montessori school, bright and early. Then L and I hopped on the train to Oxford.
Part of G.K. Chesterton's artwork and personal library
I had a tutorial with Dr. Caldecott- he pointed me to some great resources and showed me the Chesterton collection.

We had lunch at The Eagle and Child, favorite haunt of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien.
Meat pies for lunch, yum!

We went to 6 pm Mass at the Oxford Oratory, where Gerard Manley Hopkins (my favorite poet) was pastor and which Tolkien frequented. It is beautiful.
Finally we went to Formal Hall dinner at University College with our adorable British friend Josh and his friend Dan. I didn't take pictures but I will never forget it. We wore semi-formal attire; we stood to say Grace in Latin; the professors sat at a High Table; waiters served us a delicious 3-course meal. It was a scene straight from Harry Potter.

Finally we checked out Christ Church College, the most beautiful college and site of Brideshead Revisited (one of my all time favorite books).

Oh, how I wish I went to Oxford!

No comments:

Post a Comment