_

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Make Cupcakes, Not War

The Imperial War Museum is free, so I headed there Friday afternoon with some of my friends.

John and my roomie Siobhan outside the museum

My favorite part of the museum was called "The Children's War," with information about the children who were evacuated from London to escape the bombing- very The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Some of their stories were wonderful, with loving host families who treated them like their own children. And some were very sad, like the 80 children who died when a German submarine torpedoed their ship to America. It is hard to imagine how tragically the war affected so many families.

Then again, I loved the really funny posters from the era.

This one declares that "All Women Love Children and Like to Help Them," so sign up!


This poster warns the British to keep military info quiet... "Keep Mum!"


This is Charity Bick, who at age 14 risked her life to bicycle messages between British war offices during a heavy air raid. She won the George medal for her bravery. People like that make me feel like such a slacker.


We saw lots of tanks, guns, and other military things. It was a bit boring, to be honest. Military history just isn't my thing and it was starting to get me down. So when we got home, Siobhan and I made cupcakes.


It's an automatic pick-me-up, I promise. Try it next time you are feeling down. Go ahead. I give you permission. You'll thank me later.

Kisses, The Book Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment