_

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Goodbye, London Program

 They left. 120 of them (or so) are on the bus to Heathrow airport right now. I'm still in my flat, the last outpost. This particular group of people will never be together in the same way again - and boy, will I miss it.

Some people claim that the London Program isn't a real study abroad program, and I can see that point. We've been so insulated. But the ND London Program isn't about immersion in another culture as much as it is an encounter with a place. It's the city of London I will miss.

I will miss...
Riding on the top of red double-decker buses
The Sainsbury's brand for cheap, edible groceries
Daily Mass at St. Etheldreda's or Farm Street Church or St. Anselm and St. Cecelia...
Walking through Leicester Square everyday, and seeing so many movie premieres that I'm now immune to celebrities
Sunny days walking in St. James Park or Hyde Park
Cozy nights drinking a pint of bitter at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese
Baking bread or cupcakes in my flat at all hours (2 am cookies are my specialty! What can I say? All my friends are up too, and it's a good study break)
Walking to Chapel Market on Thursday mornings for fresh produce
Taking the tube between Baker Street and Farringdon at least once a week to see my aunt
Being almost anywhere in the city and being able to find my way home

I know London so well now, better than any other city I've ever lived in. I love you, London, and I'll miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment