_

Sunday, May 23, 2010

One week in Spain: The Alhambra

We visited La Alhambra, an ancient Moorish palace. In Granada they say, "If you die without seeing the Alhambra, you never really lived." Mayyyybe that's an overstatement, but it sure is beautiful.
The ceiling models stalactites and stalagmites.
The rooms are haunted with legends of the fair princesses and chivalrous knights who once lorded it in these rooms.



Every room has a story. An entire royal dynasty was murdered in a room with a fountain. Legend claims the fountain ran red with their blooooood. We decided to re-enact the scene. We're really sensitive like that.



Visiting The Alhambra brought back all my childhood love for the mythical Tales of the Alhambra by Washington Irving... highly recommended for fairy tale reading. It brought me back to being 10. My inner age is actually 6 I think, and the Moorish palace fulfilled all my pretty pretty princess dreams.

Kisses, Tess

No comments:

Post a Comment