_

Monday, August 1, 2011

You Can't Always Get What You Want

On Saturday I went to a museum with a very lovely boy, one of the best male friends I've made in DC so far. He is really funny and easy to be with. And he, it seems, is a wisher by nature.

We walked past a lovely restaurant. "I've always wanted to go there," he says. True to my character, I said, "Let's go right now!" "No..." he said, and I wondered. Do some people get more enjoyment out of wishing for something than actually having it?

I'm a go-getter. Always have been by nature. I thrive on crossing items off my to-do lists and I secretly kind of like having too much to do. I can't understand people who spend their lives wishing. That seems so counter-intuitive to me.

But sometimes us go-getters find that there are some things we can't just go and get. God has dealt me a hand right now that means I have a thing I want very much, but can't get, and can't even come close to getting. What do I do with that? I don't know. But maybe it's helping me to appreciate another way of being and another kind of thinking. Maybe I can see the value in wishing and not having, even if it's counter-intuitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment