_

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Middle Earth and Double Dates

Last Thursday, Frank planned a little surprise. He told me we were going to see a movie at the Natural History Museum, but he wouldn't tell what movie.

I spent the whole day at work speculating with my new officemate, Lindsey. A movie at the Natural History Museum? What could it be? Maybe something about furry animals?

 Finally at dinner he revealed the secret: The Hobbit!


I'd been dying to see that movie so I was extremely excited! Squeaking may have happened (it's an unavoidable side effect sometimes).

Even better, the movie was in 3D, on the biggest IMAX screen in DC! It was incredibly lifelike and there might have been a moment when Gollum jumped out at the audience and I shrieked. Just me. Not anyone else in the theater. It was kind of hilarious and Frank has been repeating the story to our friends all week.

We rocked the 3D glasses over our regular glasses.


Frank also rocked his new blue sweater, which I think is awesome and totally makes him look like J.R.R. Tolkien, or a grandpa, or possibly a hobbit. Who doesn't want to be a hobbit?

I don't usually wear glasses—only to see things that are far away, like when I'm watching a performance or driving. Frank likes to remind me how we went to see a play on our first date and I tried to sneak my glasses on without Frank seeing when the curtain went up. Yeah, nice try, younger Tess. Except I totally pulled the same shenanigans this time.


The Hobbit completely lived up to my expectations and I didn't mind the digressions from the book. Except it played the same mean trick that Lord of the Rings did; it made me fall completely in love with The Shire. Ever since watching it, I've been dying to find a way to move to The Shire and live there forever.

On Friday night, Frank and I got together for dinner with Conor and his lovely girlfriend Elizabeth, who was visiting from out of town. Conor revealed that he reads my blog. Once I got over the initial embarrassment (does anyone else feel embarrassed when you find out someone in real life knows about your blog?), I embraced it and decided to give him a shout-out. So... HEY CONOR!


Judging from the picture I think he says "hey" back.

We ate at Rockland's, a truly great establishment that really deserves its own post. I can't believe I haven't written about it before. It's right next to Frank's law school and I'm pretty sure he would eat there every day if I didn't intervene. It serves the greatest barbecue known to humankind.


To give you an idea of how awesome this place is, Frank and I take our guests there almost every time someone visits from out of town. And we never ever get tired of it.


Besides amazing barbecue and perfect sides, the thing to get at Rockland's is their draft root beer. I neglected to take a picture but just imagine a huuuuuge, iced-over glass mug brimming with the best root beer you ever drank.

Ok, enough with the food photos. :)

Let's just say, if you ever come to DC and need a recommendation for a place to eat, hit me up. Frank and I love eating out.

So that was our Thursday and Friday night!


What did you do over the weekend? Are you already counting down days to the next one like I am?

2 comments:

  1. You look SO cute in the goofy over-sized glasses! I don't think I could pull it off as well. :D

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clare! We had waaayy too much fun playing around with them... such goofballs. :) God bless you and thanks for reading!

      Delete