1. Frank and I have started a new little custom of reading a psalm every night before we go to bed. It is awesome. There's something about regular Bible reading that just makes life better.
2. My dearest Maggie gave birth to her firstborn, a little boy, two weeks ago. Now she is in town visiting with the newborn, and I get to see her and the baby tonight!!!
I may have bounced excitedly out of bed this morning because of this little fact. And I'm trying to memorize this helpful article in an effort to handle everything just right.
3. Have you ever read The Shadow of His Wings? I finished it on Tuesday and I can't remember the last time a book made me cry, and laugh, like this one. If you are looking for your next amazing book ... pick up this one!
4. BlogHer 2013 is in Chicago this weekend, which I found out via a sign on my way to work yesterday. I toyed with the idea of crashing for a hot second (anything to see Ree!) but ... nah. Is anyone going to be in town for it?
5. There's also a Catholic homeschooling conference near Chicago this weekend. Frank is very open to homeschooling—he was homeschooled and loved it—while I wasn't homeschooled and am more hesitant (for a bunch of reasons I won't go into right now). Anyway, Frank thought I might enjoy the conference, and Laura's mom sweetly offered to accompany me (she homeschools her girls). I'm trying to figure out if I should go, and if it's even possible at this point (the weekend is shaping up to be a busy one).
6. At dinner on Sunday, I found out that my parents' sweet exchange student had never had pie.
In fact she'd never even heard of pie.
Apparently pie isn't a thing in Spain.
So we decided to teach her how to make an apple pie that very night—prompting lots of "American as apple pie" remarks from Caroline's visiting friends.
She and Angela slicing up apples:
Her first bite:
She said she really liked it!
7. While we made the pie, I asked Caroline if she wanted me to make anything special while her friends were over.
She requested s'mores bars.
Have you ever tried s'mores bars? If you're looking for something to bake this weekend, I recommend these. They're a definite crowd-pleaser!
Happy Friday, dear friends! And thank you to Jen for hosting!