_

Monday, July 27, 2009

You say obscure, I say awesome

Six obscure and awesome books:

6. Follow My Leader
I taught myself Braille in the sixth grade because of this book. 'Nuff said.


All I'm gonna say is, this book is not about vegetables. (Pepper is a last name.)



Honor, loyalty, compassion, healing, and ice skating on frozen Dutch canals. Perfect!

This book is also noteworthy because it is the source of the legend about the Little Dutch Boy who saves Holland by sticking his finger in the wall between the land and the sea.

3. The Velvet Room


I haven't read this book since probably the 7th grade, but it still stands out in my mind because of how much it made me think. I loved it and still do.

2. Dinotopia by James Gurney


This was one of my favorite books growing up. It's impossible to choose whether the fascinating plot or the elegant illustrations are better.

1. King of Shadows



My sister's all-time favorite childhood book. It made us ardent Shakespeare fans and inspired us to memorize Sonnet 116. It's worth reading, if only to hear your kids walking around reciting "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds..."

1 comment: