_

Friday, March 23, 2012

Visiting Jesus at Georgetown

Last week I went to a conference at Georgetown. There were all kinds of important people there, people who have written books and advised world leaders. And then there was me, who was trying to pretend I was comfortable and at ease in my high heels, and who spent most of the morning sneaking glances at the snack table. It was fabulous.

I left the conference early and decided to walk to work rather than take the metro, mostly because there aren't any metro stops near Georgetown. But there was no way I could trek two miles in those heels, especially since it had started raining. I had my trusty Sperrys in my bag but I didn't want to change shoes in public and there was a long line in the bathroom. Where can I go on Georgetown's campus, I thought, where I'm guaranteed to see no one?

Oh, that's easy! I knew right away, and I bet you can guess.

I walked to the main campus church, passing by a wide-eyed tour group on my way. When I reached Dahlgren Chapel, I found that my hunch was right. The place was deserted.


I had a little time to spare so I decided to make a visit to Jesus in the Tabernacle. While I was praying, a few tourists came in, probably from the group I had seen earlier. They came in talking loudly and snapping pictures, but when they saw me kneeling, they quieted down. I was grateful that my presence reminded them that they were in a sacred place.

It's a little sad, though, to think of how many tourists probably enter this church and see it as nothing more than pretty architecture. If you ever happen to be at Georgetown, I hope you get a chance to stop in the chapel and say hi to Jesus. He must get so lonely there!

No comments:

Post a Comment