_

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Swingin' the Night Away

Today is Tuesday, which means two things: Noon Mass in the little chapel at school, and Teatime with our librarian, Miss Alice. Teatime means sitting around, chatting and laughing. For once we can talk loud in the library. We make weekend plans and catch up on gossip, while sipping Earl Grey and munching chocolate-dipped Digestive cookies. Teatime makes me feel impossibly British. Because of teatime, Tuesdays are my favorite.

Today at Teatime I sat next to Martin, a Finance major who will accompany me on my Spring Break adventures through Berlin, Prague, and Athens. The boy also has mad swing dance skills and teaches swing classes. (Note: I told my mother this and she said, "Oh honey, maybe there is still hope for you!", which tells you everything you need to know about my dancing.)

Martin had a flyer sitting in front of him. A flyer for a Swing Dance night at a local club. Near our flats. Tonight. And that is how I spent 3 hours on a Tuesday night swing dancing.

It was so much fun! I met some cute British guys who are excellent dancers. At first I was a bit stiff but by the end of the night I was fearless. Practice always does make perfect and once I stopped concentrating on my feet and started letting myself relax, I had so much fun. It was a nice reminder that it's not about getting it all right, but about enjoying the ride.

Have a swinging good night, The Book Girl

2 comments:

  1. Have I told you yet how much I love your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love reading about your wonderful experiences in England!

    ReplyDelete