_

Monday, December 5, 2011

Things I Liked About This Week

Lately I've been thinking a lot about this great post I read a while back on signs, which in turn was inspired by this sad but beautiful story. It's been the kind of week where I wish I had a sign: "My friend just died. Please be gentle with me." It's been a rough few days.

But as my dad says, "Even a broken clock is right twice a day." Even the worst week ever had its redeeming moments that offer wonderful memories. So here is a little list of some happy times from the past week.

Story Time with Michelle

On Thursday I went to the Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony at the White House with my roommate. We enjoyed some great performers and even listened to Mrs. O reading 'Twas the Night Before Christmas with Kermit the Frog.


As we were waiting for the performances to start, a local news anchor came on stage to get the crowd riled up.

"Are you ready for this to start?" she chirped.

"YYYEESSSSS," went the crowd.

And one guy behind me called out merrily, "Quite, quite!"

The lady said again, "I can't hear you! Are you all ready?"

And as the crowd responded, the guy piped up again, "Indeed, sir!"

It was hilarious. I had a good laugh and then tried to think of more funny responses. I was hoping he would keep going with "Rather!" and "Indupitably!"

Sharing What I Love

PALS went really well on Saturday (that's the program where I tutor inner-city girls once a week). We had a good discussion about poetry and we took turns reading poems out loud. The girls seemed to really like it and I think some of them got quite excited about poetry by the end. Victory!

Meeting Kindred Spirits

Saturday evening, I went to a party at Jackie's apartment and made a great new friend. His name is Tom and he appears to have my exact personality, especially the sociability and happy exuberance. He also has the sweetest girlfriend named Nicole. We hit it off right away and I'm really looking forward to getting to know them better. As Giselle would say, "It's always nice to make new friends."


Shops and Walks on Sunday Afternoon

On Sunday, I had spent the afternoon with my lovely Laura L. First I took her to my favorite coffee shop in Arlington. Her brother and his friend gave us a ride there, and then decided to come in and hang out with us for a while. It was really nice talking to those boys. Then Laura and I went for a long walk through the cute shops of Clarendon. We scouted out the goods at several stores and I bought a new wine glass to replace one of mine that broke. Such a simple, delightful afternoon.

So there you have it. Rather a nice week after all. What did you do this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment