_

Sunday, December 2, 2012

First Sunday of Advent

Today was our first First Sunday of Advent together.

I bought a base and candles at the National Basilica weeks ago and today we bought our wreath, which was 60 percent off at Michaels - score!

Frank picked out the wreath, and he set up the base, wreath, and candles while I prepared dinner - beef and broccoli from Trader Joe's. Doesn't everyone have frozen Chinese food for the first Sunday of Advent? ;)

He did a beautiful job.


Before lighting it, we read the Blessing of an Advent Wreath prayer and the first verse of "O Come, O Come Emmanuel."

How I love the rhythms and rituals of our faith. They weave the years together so beautifully.

Tradition is the glue that binds people together, and I talk all the time about the importance of creating traditions within the family (seriously, all the time... Frank can tell you). It felt so special to begin this little tradition with him.

We also set up our Nativity scene for the first time.


We picked out this Fontanini Nativity while we were in Chicago over Thanksgiving, and my parents bought it for us as a gift.

Frank unwrapped Joseph and I unwrapped Mary. Baby Jesus is still in his box, waiting for Christmas Day. Just three more weeks to go.


Frank had to leave after dinner to study ... boo law school. But he texted me on the way home: "We have traditions!!! ;D" and I grinned from ear to ear. Looks like I'm not the only one who loves traditions.

4 comments:

  1. That is one fine looking Advent wreath! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Therese! We had fun picking it out, and it was easier to put together than I expected. :)

      Delete
  2. Starting traditions as a new family is fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, and I can't wait until Frank and I are doing it as a real family after we're married.

      You and Andy must be having fun starting traditions together - I'd love to read about that! :)

      Delete