_

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

So funny story, last week I bought a car

So you remember the tragic end of Baby Beluga, right? When I said that Frank and I were going to be carless for a while?

It turns out I spoke too soon. My parents were able to lend Frank a car for a week, but my little sister uses that car to get to school, and she needed it back after spring break. And then it turns out that Frank's job is almost two hours away from my parents' house by public transportation. And then we found out we didn't get the apartment (the one that's walking distance from his office).

Long story short, he needed a car. We decided to take out a loan for it—normally something I would never recommend, but necessary in this case.

Frank and my dad went to the used car dealership on Friday night. He called me from the dealership office with some interesting news. Since Frank is still in law school, he's not technically considered "employed," so he couldn't take out the loan. But I'm all kinds of employed. So I could. 

Just like that, I found out I was going to buy a car.

Frank handed the phone to the dealer and I gave him all my information. Then he gave Frank back the phone as he processed my paperwork.

"Hey Frank," I asked, "what kind of car did I just buy?"

"A silver Yaris," he said. Later he texted me a picture:


I've been jokingly calling it my baby.

I needed to sign some papers, so the dealership mailed them to me at my office. I got the package Tuesday morning and as I signed my name about a million times, I couldn't help laughing at the thought that I was buying a car I'd never seen in Chicago from my office in DC.

Of course, I took a picture to commemorate the moment.


So there you have it—at the age of 23, sight unseen, from thousands of miles away, I bought my first car.

I can't help feeling a little gypped that I didn't get the full "first car" experience. I mean, I didn't even get to drive it off the lot!

But mostly, I'm just really glad that we were able to find a car, and that the transportation issue has been solved. I know the rest of it will all work out too.

15 comments:

  1. This is hilarious! I especially love the question you asked Frank: "What type of car did I just buy?" That is word-for-word what I would have said in that situation. God bless you & congrats on your first car ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! Isn't it the funniest situation? I still can't quite believe I own a car!

      Delete
  2. haha go girl go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, exciting! Also, nice name change. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm getting a little ahead of myself but it will be true in just a month and a half. :)

      Delete
  4. So funny! Because of some unknown glitch on my computer I haven't been able to access the blogs I follow for the last few weeks--can do everything else but that. Somehow today the glitch fixed itself--with a bit of help from my boss--and I discovered that you changed your blog. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, glad that got fixed! Thank you, Sister!

      Delete
  5. This is fantastic... I love the way you write... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.s. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new name of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha ha! We had to take out a loan with our first car too. There was a major used car shortage in our town so they were all unreasonably expensive. It only made sense to buy new. Seriously, some of the used cars we test-drove were ten years old with a hundred thousand miles and were selling for only a thousand dollars less than the new Kia Forte we ended up purchasing. It was crazy!

    We just paid it off {a few years early} and got the title in the mail this week. It's such a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's crazy! Good for you guys paying it off early. I'm really hoping we can do the same thing!

      Delete
  8. Haha this was so funny to read! Yaaaay for a car. I'm sure you guys will find the perfect apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool car! and I love the picture of the doll on the rightmost part of your heading! It reminds me of the little china shepherdess on the mantel mentioned in Laura Ingall's books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I thought I've heard every kind of car buying experience there was. While it is pretty funny, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the full car buying experience. Some may not find test driving and comparing new models as enjoyable, but it's a good experience to look back on when you need to buy a new car in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! You are very lucky indeed. I haven'y bought my first car until much later. And even then my car wasn't as good looking as yours. It was very old and had a bad paint job.

    Rigoberto Axelson @ BrandonDodgeOnBroadWay.net

    ReplyDelete