_

Thursday, January 28, 2010

What would I do without them?


Last night my seminar ended at 5:30 pm, and I joined my professor and classmates in the pub afterward for a drink (my professor bought the first round). I was in a hurry to get to Ashwell House, though, so I said goodbye early.

I took 3 trains to Ashwell House and got lost at least 4 times. There is something about London streets that makes it impossible for me to ever find my way.

But unlike my first week here, I am not afraid of getting lost. Oh no, not at all. As I said to my roommate last night, I have a new best friend: drugstore clerks.

Seriously, what would I do without those guys? Picture the scene: A timid looking girl in a red coat and pink backpack (me) looks around with confused eyes before ducking into a drugstore. I walk up to the bored clerk, usually Indian or Hispanic and with longish dark hair, and ask him, "Do you know where [insert any place I have gone in this city] is?" And without fail, no matter how bored or scary the dude looks, he helps me out. Every time. Sometimes they will wave a hand and say "Two more blocks," and sometimes they will pull out a map or their iPhone. But they always give me perfect directions.

So this is my ode to the drugstore clerks of London. Thanks, guys. I get lost multiple times a day, and without your help, I would never find my way.

Lots of love, The Book Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment