_

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Poets Corner


Field trips aren't just for grade school anymore. My class took a trip to Westminster Abbey on Wednesday. Our professor is an Anglican priest and a vicar there, so he got us all in for free.

We saw the tomb of Queen Elizabeth I and her sister Mary, the sanctuary and the ancient cloisters. The only bad thing about Westminster Abbey is that you're not allowed to take pictures. But I snuck a few anyway.

This was my favorite spot in the Abbey: the grave of Gerard Manley Hopkins, my favorite poet. It is nestled in Poets Corner, where many famous writers are buried... such as Geoffrey Chaucer, Charles Dickens and Dylan Thomas.

Charles Dickens is buried next to Rudyard Kipling

Dear Charles Dickens,
I was in a play of Oliver Twist in high school. I got to die onstage, which was pretty cool. I'm sorry I didn't bring you flowers. I thought about it but I ran out of time.

Dear Rudyard Kipling,
I love your poems and stories, even if they are somewhat politically incorrect. My dad used to read me The Cat that Walked by Itself. Isn't it so cool that you're buried next to Charles? I hope you guys like being neighbors. Ok, see ya around.


I took this shot of the cloisters on my way out.

I stayed at the Abbey for so long that I was late for my next class... and it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment